Update on the Revision of the Vetting & Barring Scheme
The revision of the Vetting & Barring Scheme (VBS) forms part of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2011, which received Royal Assent
on 1 May. Amendments to the VBS and the system of checking criminal records include:
- the definitions of regulated activity (in relation to both children and vulnerable adults) are changed
- the circumstances in which an individual will be included on a barred list will be narrowed
- revisions to the circumstances in which barring information can be requested and provided
- only the applicant for a CRB check will be sent a certificate initially - this will enable him/her to challenge its content before it is received by a third-party
- CRB certificates will become 'portable'.
No date has yet been set for the Act to come into force.
For more information on the Act, see: http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2010-12/protectionoffreedoms.html